.NET for freebsd

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Fri Jan 31 11:52:29 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 10:19:47AM -0000, Paul Robinson wrote:

> Terry wrote:
>
> > Stop for a moment...step back...ignore the hype...think over this
> > again...and
> > now think of what you said above...
>
> I'll retract the "ridiculous and ancient" line, but if .NET wasn't coming
> over to FBSD, FBSD would not be found in any corporate data centres in 10
> years time. It's not .NET is just "another language", it's another
> archeitecture, and trust me, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than the
> PHP/Perl/Python methods we currently use. Those methods are great for
> smallish projects (say 2 man/years - please don't tell me that they are
> mythical, I know), but I have to manage a project now where there is
> something like 4 man/years development to be completed by 1st July, and the
> development team is not particularly on-the-ball at the moment. Not one line
> of code is written.
>
> Ask yourself - do the technologies Unix currently offers realistically allow
> for a low TCO, low maintenance, rapid development within that timescale?
> I've done the maths, and the answer, quite simply, is "no". And that, I can
> assure you, is frustrating.

Well I've done the maths & it means that you need 10 developers to
complete your project within the remaining 5 months.

It sounds to me like you've been given an impossible remit and you're
now clutching at straws & you're thinking .NET might be the magic
bullet.

I suppose in the unlikely case that you have got 10 developers and
they're all familiar with either Java or C# then you might get it done
but IMO it would still seem unlikely - your application would still be
very much beta (goes without saying that I'm largely guessing as to
the complexity of the application).

> So, the current plan is to roll out a .NET framework on XP.NET which we will
> probably have live earlier than July 1st. We'll then wait for Ximian to get
> Mono polished off, maybe even get involved in testing and improving the
> ASP.NET parts of it all, and then move over to FBSD with Mono. I end up with
> a decent OS running a decent architecture, and to boot, I came in on budget
> and on time.

Tell us how many of these developers are familiar with .NET? Or are
you hoping that these guys are going to pick it up as they go along?
Are you hoping that some guys will write in VB, some do the ASP,
some do C#, some C++ and then tie it all together? How many of these
guys have programmed on Windows & know the platform?

Well, I wish you the best of luck!

> It's all very well saying "M$ is evil", but in the real world, they've
> produced a decent setup and right now, I'm glad they're around. I'm even
> happier that I get to drop the bits I don't like (their OS) sometime over
> the next year.

I hope you keep the list posted with how things work out and the pro's
and con's of developing an application with .NET and how you get on
with porting it to FreeBSD.

BTW, have you seen any write-ups of real-life situations where people
have done something similar as to what you propose?

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019