.NET for freebsd

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.com
Thu Jan 30 14:21:39 GMT 2003

The thing that's different about .NET is the CLR. Nothing else has
taken this technology forward to this extent. It's not revolutionary,
but it's evolutionary. Java doesn't go anywhere near this far since
it's not a language independant solution.

Take Microsoft out of the picture and consider whether Mono has
benefits to the average application developer. I think being able
to write components in different languages and to be able to run
them all withing the same application is a useful feature. This is
just the CLR, all the API that forms the complete .NET isn't the
most exciting part of it in my opinion. You could just take the CLR
and write your own application framework and just not bother with the
whole .NET framework.

As I said, C# and the CLR is being developed by BSD
guys using FreeBSD which is why it's a supported platform.

Paul.