.NET for freebsd

Robin Melville robmel at innotts.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 00:40:02 GMT 2003

On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 10:08  pm, Terry wrote:

> Quoting Frank Shute <frank at esperance-linux.co.uk>:

>>> As much as I hate their OSes and their business strategy, Microsoft
>>> has
>>> produced a blinder with .NET - it quite frankly, kicks arse. It's the
>> best
>>> framework for application development I've ever seen. You can write
>>> you
>> code
>>> in C# and I can write mine in ASP.NET and they will transparently be
>>> able
>>> talk to each other, share objects, methods, the whole shebang.
>>
>  This is not exactly the whole truth, not everything works
> ``transparently''
> between applications written in different languages in .NET. A .NET
> developer
> recently demonstarated how two applications, one written in VB.NET and
> on on C#
> don't work together in a straightforward way if not coded carefully
> with that
> purpose in mind _beforehand_. Using the .NET IDE you get to develop
> `Solutions'
> which consist of one or more `Projects'. Each `Project' must be
> written in the
> same language  you can't mix and match within a project.
> As a second comment, I find it hard to believe that people in this
> mailing list
> are so `overtaken' by the industry hype. I won't even dare to look
> elsewhere if
> this is happening here. Please get the facts right, .NET is not
> something
> revolutionary in terms of technology. It's just a vendor
> implementation (and a
> vendor who lacks technical culture that is) of some existing
> technologies.

The think that I find most worrying about future development along .NET
lines is the strongly stated aim of applications as 'services'. There
is already a dangerously monopolistic situation in terms of operating
systems. If applications no longer reside locally and one is obliged to
rent access to them (which is how I understand the thrust of
Microsoft's implementation of .NET) then the monopoly gains control
over your minute by minute use of applications. I may be a little
paranoid but that's not a situation I relish.

Both Terry's contributions are quite right I think. I can't see that C
sharp is anything revolutionary, it's main benefit being that it
factors in system-level hooks for Windows programmers. All of its other
features are well represented, sometimes in far more elegant ways, in
other languages. Java springs to mind, if you need semi-compiled
speeds, Ruby if you don't; any of the ML variants if you need compiled
speeds for object-oriented design, or even objective C or C++ for that
ridiculous and ancient programming ambience :*)

All the best

Robin Melville
Addiction Information
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team