.NET for freebsd

Terry terry at mohimba.com
Wed Jan 29 22:08:19 GMT 2003

Quoting Frank Shute <frank at esperance-linux.co.uk>:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 12:57:41PM -0000, Paul Robinson wrote:

> > > where could
> > >
> > > .NET for freebsd? jesus... the world is comming to an end...
> >
> > As much as I hate their OSes and their business strategy, Microsoft has
> > produced a blinder with .NET - it quite frankly, kicks arse. It's the
> best
> > framework for application development I've ever seen. You can write you
> code
> > in C# and I can write mine in ASP.NET and they will transparently be able
> > talk to each other, share objects, methods, the whole shebang.

 This is not exactly the whole truth, not everything works ``transparently''
between applications written in different languages in .NET. A .NET developer
recently demonstarated how two applications, one written in VB.NET and on on C#
don't work together in a straightforward way if not coded carefully with that
purpose in mind _beforehand_. Using the .NET IDE you get to develop `Solutions'
which consist of one or more `Projects'. Each `Project' must be written in the
same language  you can't mix and match within a project.
As a second comment, I find it hard to believe that people in this mailing list
are so `overtaken' by the industry hype. I won't even dare to look elsewhere if
this is happening here. Please get the facts right, .NET is not something
revolutionary in terms of technology. It's just a vendor implementation (and a
vendor who lacks technical culture that is) of some existing technologies.