.NET for freebsd

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Wed Jan 29 19:21:14 GMT 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 12:57:41PM -0000, Paul Robinson wrote:

> > On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:57:44 -0000 "Robin Garbutt"
> > <rob at portfoliodesign.net> wrote:
> >
> > > is the .NET framework widely available for freebsd yet?  If so,
> > where could
> > > I get it from?
> >
> > .NET for freebsd? jesus... the world is comming to an end...
>
> As much as I hate their OSes and their business strategy, Microsoft has
> produced a blinder with .NET - it quite frankly, kicks arse. It's the best
> framework for application development I've ever seen. You can write you code
> in C# and I can write mine in ASP.NET and they will transparently be able to
> talk to each other, share objects, methods, the whole shebang.

Maybe so, but do you really wan't to have a number of developers
writing code in different languages? I don't.

> Microsoft have stated they will permit porting over to FreeBSD, and
> I think there are rumours of official support further down the line,
> but they aren't taking it to any other Unix.

You're dependent on MS playing things straight. I can't see why on
Earth they'd let their `kick arse' application development environment
be ported over over to a `kick arse' platform that they don't own
unless they cripple it somehow.

> I would honestly reccomend looking into it. It makes everything we have over
> in unix land look positively ridiculous and ancient. It certainly makes a
> laughing stock out of many J2EE vendor offerings.

I don't trust the company who's baby it is - they're a bunch of crooks
who can't be trusted IMO and I don't like doing business with crooks.

With Java you've got a choice of offerings from a variety of vendors
and you know that you can't be boxed into a corner further down the
line. Plus it's proven to do the job on a variety of platforms,
whereas .NET hasn't really even been proven on one platform yet.

In short, the con's of .NET outweigh the largely unproven pro's ATM,
IMHO.

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.