.NET for freebsd

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.com
Wed Jan 29 17:18:32 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 10:28:38AM +0000, adyas at twowaytv.co.uk wrote:
> Gabriel Veneat wrote:
> >On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 02:14, Dimitris wrote:
> >>I'd prefer to deposit my money with a 'unix bank' than an 'M$ bank', or
> >>fly in
> >>a unix powered airplane than an M$ powered airplane.
> >
> >maybe .NET is a good thing , and if they wanted to run on BSD is great.
> >When the .net-minded IT managers will want to .net-ize your work
> >environment  FreeBSD will be able to stay.
>
> My problem with it, and I suspect other people too, is that I have a
> deep rooted mistrust for Microsoft based on things they have done in the
> past, and no so good experiences with many of their other products. My
> main worry is that they will abuse their power with .net at some time in
> the future.

All those bashing .NET because it's from Microsoft should go and
spend some time reading how Miguel (of Gnome and Ximiam fame) raves
about it and why he started the Mono project to implement a GPL
version of it. Also bear in mind that the guys developing it inside
Microsoft are BSD/Unix guys :-)

I've only looked at it briefly so far but it seems like the framework is
pretty good. Also, this is an application framework, not an OS, and
Microsoft are actually very good at applications.

Paul.