APM, ACPI, WTF?

Sam Pikesley samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 21 14:56:33 GMT 2003

Hello all!

I find myself in need of a clue: I have a Sony Vaio
PCG-Z505HS laptop running 5.0 (-RELEASE as of Sunday,
yay!). Mostly it works fine (although I can't get sjog
to build, does it build on 4.x?), but there is a
problem with power magement: with apm in my kernel, I
can get the apm information (via wmapm etc) BUT I
cannot suspend the machine to disk, RAM or anywhere
else. A bit of googling revealed that in order to get
it to suspend, I need to disable ACPI by adding this:
'hint.acpi.0.disabled="0"' to '/boot/device.hints'.
Which is great, it now suspends to RAM when I flick
the power switch and to disk with Fn-F12. But it's
nobbled apmd. So now I can't get at the apm stuff. Any
clue as to how I can get these two to play together?

Thanks,

Sam
;)

P.S. Also, USB and sound refuse to work on resume :(

=====
The Romans didn't build a great empire by organising meetings. They did it by killing anyone that got in their way.
                               -- K. Bates