ADSL & PPPoA

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Tue Jan 21 01:09:28 GMT 2003

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Barry Freshwater wrote:

>FreeBSD/W95 PPPoE <-> router <-> PPPoA ISP
>
>Is my interpretation of how this works correct? or is it the only way
>you can connect to these services is by using the Speedtouch USB modem
>and the pppoa port as stated in the handbook.

Not in the UK - we don't use PPPoE (yet)  It is actually a little easier:

FreeBSD/W95 Ethernet <--> NAT router <--> PPPoA ISP

i.e. you have a regular Ethernet IP network on the "inside" and the router
performs NAT to the ADSL network.  No PPPoE needed.

This is assuming you have the typical home-user ADSL service with one IP
address assigned from the network as part of the automatic PPP
negotiation.

One of my favourite routers for this job is the Netgear DG814 (around
=A3120) but there are plenty to choose from.

>If you can use a router is it very difficult to set up?

Not at all.  There are very few parameters and most routers have a simple
menu system with most parameters automatically set.

Aled
--=20
        ++  Fast, affordable, server hosting in Telehouse, London  ++
        ++               http://www.qix.co.uk/colo/                ++