Dial-in authentication-ppp-samba

Lou Kamenov phayze at secureroot.org.uk
Mon Jan 20 16:25:34 GMT 2003

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:07:46 +0000
Keith France <keith at fcomsrv.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone on this list had trouble getting dial-in domain authentication
> using samba as a PDC?
>
> The problem I have is this -
>
> Upgraded to FreeBSD 4.7-release (clean re-install)
> installed Samba 2.2.6.p2_1 configured to run as a PDC on the dial-in server
> Using PPP in userland as normal for dial-in access
> locally networked Win boxes including XP authenticate with samba as
> expected and work ok
> my dial-in connection does ppp authentication ok and ping, telnet etc works
> ok (win98/me laptops)
> any attempt to do a "domain" login to the samba PDC from the dial-in
> connection fails - reports unable to locate domain server.
>
> Samba's logs show no knowledge of the dial-in computer's attempts at
> authorizing onto the domain
> It seems that samba is ignoring requests from the dial-in link or is just
> not getting them.

that`s interesting.

> Ifconfig shows the Tun device being up, pointtopoint and multicast (but not
> Broadcast???, but then it is a point to point link!) with the correct ip
> addresses allocated.
> Any thoughts, advice as to where the problem may be would be appreciated.
>
> I have looked in the searchable samba archives but to no avail......

tell your clients where`s the WINS server(ie ip addr), i dont know if this will work, but it works for me... pptp-> pptp server -> domain
 logon and so so.

cheers,
-lou

Lou Kamenov	lou at freebsd-bg.org		lou.k at secureroot.org.uk
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	http://secureroot.org.uk
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least
somebody's listening. - Franklin P. Jones