PROC table and forking processes

Lou Kamenov phayze at secureroot.org.uk
Mon Jan 20 11:52:29 GMT 2003

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:03:20 -0000
"Mark Stewart" <Mark.Stewart at bacs.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi - I read a while ago you can start freebsd without mounting proc as > it is not needed ????

sure, it can work without mounting /proc, i have no idea why it`s mounted by default. anyways...

> Anyways my log files are telling me "/kernel: proc: table is full" and I cannot fork processes :(
>
> Can I extend this table somehow ?

yeah use 'sysctl kern | grep proc' to see all the options  or 'sysctl -w kern.maxproc=%value' to enlarge it (mine si 4068, by default i suppose).

HTH, HAND

cheers,
-lou

Lou Kamenov	lou at freebsd-bg.org		lou.k at secureroot.org.uk
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	http://secureroot.org.uk
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least
somebody's listening. - Franklin P. Jones