Connecting to win boxes...

Sam Pikesley samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 14 11:36:48 GMT 2003

 --- Sam Pikesley <samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote: >  --- Steve Purkis <steve at twistedfish.net>
wrote: >
> Hello all
> >
> > I have a little network with a couple of BSD boxes
> &
> > several win98 machines. It's quite easy to allow
> the
> > win boxes to "see" file on the BSD machines using,
> > say, ftp or nfs as I understand it, assuming the
> > correct option is set.
>
> You should set up Samba on the BSD machines you want
> to share (it's really not that difficult to get a
> simple configuration going), I'm not sure how you
> mount NFS shares with Windows...
>
> > My question is: what about accessing the win boxes
> > from BSD? Is there a "quick & dirty" way to do
> this
> > or do I need something like Samba (shakes with
> fear
> > @ all those config files ;-)???
>
> No, you don't actually need Samba for this. You do,
> however, need a kernel with following:
>
> options     NETSMB
> options     NETSMBCRYPTO
> options     SMBFS
>
> then you need to hack /etc/nsmb.conf and add this
> stuff:
>
> [default]
> workgroup=<YOUR_WORKGROUP>
>
> [<MACHINE_YOU_WISH_TO_MOUNT_FROM>]
> addr=192.168.xxx.yyy
> charsets=koi8-r:cp866
>
> [<MACHINE_YOU_WISH_TO_MOUNT_FROM>:<YOUR_USER_NAME>]
> password=<your_password>

It's just occured to me that I've only given you half
the story here, and possibly in a slightly misleading
way. MACHINE_YOU_WISH_TO_MOUNT_FROM refers to the
machine that is sharing the folder. It will, of
course, need to be shared on that machine. Also, it's
not essential to put your password in the file; if you
don't you will be prompted for it when you try and
mount the share, but of course if you want to mount
them at boot-time...

Then, what I do is make some mount points on my box
like

/windowsserver/documents
/windowsserver/software

or whatever, and put some lines in my fstab like this:

//<MY_USER_NAME>/<SHARING_MACHINE>/documents
/windowsserver/documents   smbfs   rw,noauto   0   0

P.S. Anybody going to this meeting on Thursday?

=====