Connecting to win boxes...

Lou Kamenov phayze at secureroot.org.uk
Tue Jan 14 11:31:23 GMT 2003

In some email I received from Steve Purkis <steve at twistedfish.net> on
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:57:51 +0000 :
> Hello all
>
> I have a little network with a couple of BSD boxes & several win98
> machines. It's quite easy to allow the win boxes to "see" file on the
> BSD machines using, say, ftp or nfs as I understand it, assuming the
> correct option is set. My question is: what about accessing the win
> boxes from BSD? Is there a "quick & dirty" way to do this or do I need
> something like Samba (shakes with fear @ all those config files ;-)???

You can use CODA, it`s not a native solution and it`s broken on
5.0-CURRENT/RC, but it works fine on -STABLE, and it`s full of
advantages that Samba doesnt have, like clients offline operations,
volume replication and so-so.. www.coda.cs.cmu.edu. If you know AFS,
coda is not much different(actually AFS2) :)
there is also a Windows client for it, it works for me..
and it`s good for clustering, shame that FreeBSD doesnt support coda as
 rootfs :) (that was a bit OT)

i hope i havent made the things nastier than before :)

otherwise if you want to access the windows boxes from
the FreeBSD box use smbutil(1).

hth,
-lou

----

Lou Kamenov	lou at freebsd-bg.org		lou.k at secureroot.org.uk
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	http://secureroot.org.uk
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least
somebody's listening. - Franklin P. Jones