wish list

Julian Rawcliffe julian.rawcliffe at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 12 22:53:33 GMT 2003

On Sunday 12 January 2003 22:06, Peter McGarvey wrote:

> I despise RPMs, and I dislike the wealth of options with the Red Hat
> install.  Last time I managed to install RH without GCC, and it took me
> two days to figure it out.  All the Linux gurus in the office just told
> me that I should have installed "everything".
RPM is truly awful for system maintenance, especially when
app dependency varations kick in. And upgrading RPM in itself can be
a nightmare. As a newcomer to FreeBSD (though I started off using
SunOS 4.1.3) I love the ports system and upgrading by 'make world' from
4.6 to 4.7 was a breeze. FreeBSD still has a lot of features that the Linux
crowd is envious of. I have switched my server and workstation to FreeBSD
with no expectation of going back. I've been surprised by the availability of
such a rich set of BSD software that I'd only expect in the Linux world.

> I love the simplicity of the FreeBSD text installation.  Even though
> I've been using FreeBSD since 2.2.5, and machines for many different
> tasks, I've only needed the "Standard" install.

I saw a great quote in a letter on The Register that said that BSD is for
those who love UNIX; Linux is for  those that hate Microsoft. If there is a
wish for FreeBSD it is that the developers don't lose sight of what a great
OS it is and don't become distracted by what Linux appears to offer Windows
users.

Julian