Am I not getting mail from everyone here, or is it just quiet?

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Sun Jan 12 20:16:47 GMT 2003

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 06:57:23PM +0000, Peter McGarvey wrote:

> > 3. bash in the base system
>
> I'd definately like to see the bash sources supplied on installation CD
> (the mini-ISO, as that the only one I ever download) but I defiantely
> would not like to see it as part of the base distro.
>
> IMHO There should be a single shell supplied - /bin/sh

Agreed. I used to like bash but my personal preference is know for
pdksh as a user shell and sh as a system shell - I rarely write any
scripts with the extended features that ksh offers as I like them to
be portable.

A big plus of FreeBSD over Linux IMO is a proper sh and not a
symlinked & dynamically linked & bloated bash as a system shell.

> Other shells are personal preferance, and therefore should be installed
> until someone requires them.

What I still don't understand is ripping perl out of base - I suppose
it must have been too much effort to maintain it.

I'd also like to see bind dumped and sendmail replaced with any other
MTA - qmail being my preference.

In some respects I don't miss a lot of weird hardware being supported,
doesn't it just complicate the system? Although it would be nice if my
camera and MP3 player were supported....actually I think they probably
are, I'm just too idle to set them up :)

What I really would like to see is the OS settle down on more
architectures (Sparc, PPC etc.) although I think that in the long run
that can have a negative effect on the effort put into the `core'
architecture.

For instance, reading Alan Cox's diary I see that nowadays he puts a
lot of effort into getting Linux running on IBM's various
architectures but using a 2.4 kernel I couldn't get it to pick up my
ATAPI CD-ROM on x86! Hence, now a FreeBSD user and couldn't be happier
with a system where things don't break from release to release.

--

 Frank

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019
     ---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

 Q: So a `Trusted Computer' is one that can break my security?
 A: Now You've got it.
                      - Dr Ross Anderson

     http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rja14/tcpa-faq.html