Power management

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Wed Jan 8 18:50:48 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 12:23:46PM -0000, James wrote:
> Probably a mildly heretical question, but I've noticed the '-p' argument for
> shutdown, and I'd like to spend many possibly fruitless hours trying to get
> my freebsd box to emulate my index finger pressing the 'power' button.
>
> Anyone know of resources that deal with the power management doobries for
> ATX form motherboards?  Relevant man pages, web pages, etc. gratefully
> received.

Use APM in -STABLE/-RELEASE, ACPI in -CURRENT. Not guaranteed to work, but
the APM implementations on desktops are generally less bug-ridden than those
in laptop BIOSes.

The sheer number of ways that the ATX power supply signalling pins can be
connected to the southbridge or SuperIO chip in most machines would boggle
one's mind, which is why the BIOS deals with that sort of thing.

BMS