disk examination/repair tools

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Sat Jan 4 12:41:46 GMT 2003

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 12:11:23AM +0000, Julian Rawcliffe wrote:
> Does FreeBSD have tools other than fsck/disklabel to check
> for (and repair) bad blocks on IDE drives.

Is this a relatively new disk (in the last three years or so)?

If so, the disk is probably hosed.  I'm pretty certain that any recent
IDE disk will automatically remap bad sectors as it encounters them to
spare sectors that are set aside at manufacturing time.

If the disk is now reporting errors it means that it's run out of space
to remap the bad sectors to.  The disk is now in the process of failing,
and should be replaced as soon as possible.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip--