poweredge 2600 PERC4 RAID - HELP

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Sat Feb 22 16:54:34 GMT 2003

I'm pleasantly surprised that Corpex are still using FreeBSD.

I currently have 4.6-RELEASE-pXX running on a Dell PowerEdge 2400.
The controller on this box is a PERC2/Si. This works with the aac(4) driver.
If you set up containers etc from the controller's BIOS, these should
be relatively transparent to the underlying OS.

PERC4/Di doesn't seem to be supported yet though. Linux does support the
PERC4 however. I'd wager that the register interface hasn't changed that
much though between PERC revisions. If you're suicidal and willing to
try a kludge which *might* work, you could try jamming the PCI device/vendor
IDs into /usr/src/sys/dev/aac/aac_pci.c, compiling a kernel, and seeing
if it 'just works'.

(Update: I worked with 2650s quite recently and these show up as PERC3/Di
with an extra ahc, so I'd wager that this just might work. If you can
send us pciconf -v -l output to the list then that would give us more to
go on...)

Another possible workaround is to drive the controller in plain SCSI mode and
instead do software RAID via vinum(4). This might actually work out
better performance-wise, but don't quote me, I don't have benchmarks!

You MAY need to update the firmware for this card if it's a rebadged LSI.
Check the linux-aacraid-devel mailing list for more info on how to do this.

BMS