Mailer Issue.

Lou Kamenov phayze at secureroot.org.uk
Fri Feb 21 12:08:25 GMT 2003

In some email I received from "Abdul Salam" <abdul at netsite.co.uk> on Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:48:10 -0000, wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> I think I got the state of tcp when sending a mail. It says TIME_WAIT > once I send a mail, while ports 80 and 23 says ESTABLISHED. But, where > could I change this.
80 is http and 23 is telnet, totally irrelevant with the sumbject.

when you`re sending email the connectiong between smtp <-> smtp is a stateful connection, that means you should see something like ESTABLISHED, when a connection is obviously established. TIME_WAIT means it waits certain after the connection is FINinshed, but still the kernel waits for some packets which might be left on the network for this TCP session. That means that your connection was established and manage to finish whatever it was doing.
it`s a "operation timeout" err which doesnt make much sense, i`d say it`s a resolver issue, check your DNS settings, check your /etc/hosts.

hope that brings some light.

can we have the output of host -a smtp.mydomain.co.uk?

also you might as well consider *ad* http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html + http://www.flounder.net/qmail/ + vpopmail, you might as well like it.
i find it more efficient than sendmail, also it`s a very powerful tool when you combine it with sql/ldap/whatsoever, quite robust, simple and stable ;) */ad*

HTH

cheers,
-lou

Lou Kamenov	lou at freebsd-bg.org		phayze at secureroot.org.uk
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	http://secureroot.org.uk
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least
somebody's listening. - Franklin P. Jones