FreeBSD and Firewire

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Wed Feb 19 12:27:36 GMT 2003

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 12:09:11PM +0000, Neil Ford wrote:
> Can anyone point me at, or know themselves, something that tells me the
> current situation regarding firewire support under FreeBSD?
>
> I'm wanting to hang a couple of large firewire disks off of a FreeBSD
> box, so nothing fancy (no DV support required, etc.).

I don't know how well it works, but firewire support went into -CURRENT in the
last few months and has been backported to -STABLE.  4.8 should have some
support.  As to how well it works, I don't know...

For details, have a look in /sys/dev/firewire.  Possibly also at cvsweb:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/firewire/

I don't know where firewire is discussed.  It's probably best to mail the
author of the code and ask him.  That would appear to be simokawa at freebsd.org,
looking at the changelogs...

-Dom