CTRL ALT DEL

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Wed Feb 12 12:03:17 GMT 2003

--wxDdMuZNg1r63Hyj

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 09:28:36AM -0000, Chris Rodgers wrote:
> Is there any way to do something else when CTRL ALT DEL is pressed, ie. n=
ot
> disable it completely (see below)... or would I have to change the
> appropriate bits in the kernel?

You don't need to change the kernel.

Keyboard mappings are stored in /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/*.  Using
uk.cp850.kbd as an example, it starts:

# scan                       cntrl          alt    alt   cntrl lock
# code  base   shift  cntrl  shift  alt    shift  cntrl  shift state
# ------------------------------------------------------------------
  000   nop    nop    nop    nop    nop    nop    nop    nop     O
  001   esc    esc    esc    esc    esc    esc    debug  esc     O
  002   '1'    '!'    nop    nop    '1'    '!'    nop    nop     O
[...]

As you can see, the rows contain the data for each key, and the columns
indicate how that key should be processed in conjunction with other keys
that might be held down (SHIFT, CTRL, ALT, CTRL+ALT, and so on).

So the key with code '002' will, when pressed, generate a '1', or a '!'
if SHIFT is held down.  CTRL+1 does nothing ('nop'), and so on.

Scanning down that table to find out what happens to the DEL key

[...]
  083   del    '.'    '.'    '.'    '.'    '.'    boot   boot    N
[...]

So CTRL+ALT+DEL and CTRL+SHIFT+DEL will both generate a reboot. =20

You could change this so that it activates the console screen saver by
changing 'boot' to 'saver'.

See kbdmap(5) for a more complete description.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--wxDdMuZNg1r63Hyj

--wxDdMuZNg1r63Hyj--