external usb hard drive under 4.7-STABLE

Sam Pikesley samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 11 21:38:02 GMT 2003

--- Dimitris <sehh at altered.com> wrote: > On Tue, 11
Feb 2003 18:01:01 +0000 Ian Morrison
> <ian at darq.net> wrote:
>
> > i'm not sure if the BRIDGE is relevant, but i'm
> guessing it is because
> > i've never seen it before, and i'd imagine that
> this box has some kind
> > of USB --> IDE bridge action occurring.
> > so, any ideas?
>
> If the box is properly designed, it should be seen
> as a USB Mass Storage Device,
> and should require no extra drivers. If that is the
> case, then you probably
> encountered one of the many bugs in the freebsd usb
> drivers. They have lots of them.
>
> If the box is not properly designed, it may not
> emulate the full USB Mass Storage
> device implementation, and thus require some special
> driver to work. One example
> of these devices is some digital cameras.

This is a good point. I have an Olympus digital camera
that appears as a USB mass storage device under
MonopolyOS. I have got it to work occasionally on my
4.7 desktop, but it's a case of 'Throw a six to
start'. On my 5.0 laptop, however, it Just Works (tm),
every time

I'll give you good odds that this thing will work with
5.0

Just my two pence

Sam
;)

> ------

=====
FreeBSD: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades