Freebsd-users digest, Vol 1 #1244 - 1 msg

Ben Paley ben at spooty.net
Thu Feb 6 13:18:41 GMT 2003

On Thursday 06 February 2003 12:01 pm, you wrote:

<snip>

> Forgive me if this sounds hopeless, but I've been having a little trouble
> choosing the right hostname for my firewall/NAT box (4.7-STABLE
> w/IPFilter). I've been looking around for a solid answer to my problem, but
> I can't find an exact explanation, so for posterity I thought I should ask
> the people who know. <cracks knuckles>

</snip>

Interesting: before I had any network, I used a made-up domain name in
rc.conf. When I finally got vmware going and started to network the real and
virtual machines together I started to have problems...

Setting the hostname to localhost in rc.conf seems to work except that it
means "localhost" is now the name of the bsd box when viewed from w98 in
vmware, and that surely can't be right...

Cheers,
Ben