read only file system

Phil Pereira freeserver at wintellect.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 21:46:36 GMT 2003

If all else fails, you can stick in a boot disk / cdrom and choose the "fixit" option which will get you to a command prompt; from there you can mount any hard disk partition as rw and correct any mistakes  :)

Yep - it's happened to me before, too!

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 21:31:45 +0000
Roger McCalman <roger at runcircle.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 08:51:38PM -0000, Manx Biaggi wrote:
> > LOL ive done exactly the same right now as well, but cant get vi to work
> > either, I think I need to login or something , I know you cant edit that
> > file except as root. so what can I do :-(
>
> If problems occur during boot the / can be mounted read-only. It has just
> happened to me as well (a long story)
>
> Use 'mount -o rw /'
> to remount / as read/write you may also need to mount the other
> file systems to get /tmp, /usr/bin etc.
>
> Cheers, Roger

Phil.
                                           (_ )
UNIX is "user-friendly",                \\\", ) ^
it's just picky about its friends!        \/, \(
                                         cXc_/_)