Choosing the right hostname

Andrew andrew.hodgson at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 6 11:47:04 GMT 2003

Hello,

Forgive me if this sounds hopeless, but I've been having a little trouble
choosing the right hostname for my firewall/NAT box (4.7-STABLE w/IPFilter).
I've been looking around for a solid answer to my problem, but I can't find
an exact explanation, so for posterity I thought I should ask the people who
know. <cracks knuckles>

%uname -a
FreeBSD dhcp-64-50354.missinglink.uk.com 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #0:
Tue Oct 29 21:53:45 GMT 2002
dicky at dhcp-64-50354.logger.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FIREWALL  i386

I have this box setup to protect my Windows box, which I use to make music.
I have a hub set up so I can just plug things in (friend's laptops etc.)
when I need to. It's worked flawlessly since I set it up in October.
However....I wasn't receiving my daily emails, and I found that this was
because the domain I'd chosen (logger.org) was already in use, so when
sendmail was trying to route mail via localhost.logger.org, it was getting
66.216.92.136, not 127.0.0.1. (I tried changing my /etc/resolv.conf so it
read 'hosts' before anything else, but this didn't seem to help.) So I
changed the domain to missinglink.uk.com (a name I'm in the process of
registering). Now I receive my emails, but in the form of error messages
from the Mail Delivery Subsystem:

<quote>
The original message was received at Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:02:48 GMT
from root at localhost

root
    (reason: 553 5.1.8 <root at dhcp-64-50354.missinglink.uk.com>... Domain of
sender address root at dhcp-64-50354.missinglink.uk.com does not exist)
    (expanded from: root)

... while talking to localhost.missinglink.uk.com.:
>>> MAIL From:<root at dhcp-64-50354.missinglink.uk.com> SIZE=851
<<< 553 5.1.8 <root at dhcp-64-50354.missinglink.uk.com>... Domain of sender
address root at dhcp-64-50354.missinglink.uk.com does not exist
501 5.6.0 Data format error
</quote>

The actual periodic logs are sent as attachments, along with a .dat file
saying:

<quote>
Reporting-MTA: dns; dhcp-64-50354.missinglink.uk.com
Arrival-Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:02:48 GMT

Final-Recipient: RFC822; root at dhcp-64-50354.missinglink.uk.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 553 5.1.8 <root at dhcp-64-50354.missinglink.uk.com>...
Domain of sender address root at dhcp-64-50354.missinglink.uk.com does not
exist
Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:02:54 GMT
</quote>

So obviously I have a problem with my domain (seeing the line about ''domain
of sender address...does not exist''), I'm just not too sure about what to
do about it. I'll show you my /etc/resolv.conf -

domain missinglink.uk.com
hosts
nameserver 62.30.144.119
nameserver 62.30.144.120

If there's any other info I can provide, then let me know. If I just need to
read a certain doc, then let me know!

Thanks in advance,

Andrew