Sendmail

Jon Mercer jon at trojan-heroes.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 19:36:01 GMT 2003

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
This sounds like a sendmail configuration error, although I've also
seen problems myself with php where it always sets the sender to
me at localhost. That said, DSN 4.0.0 (persistent transient failure - RFC
1893) isn't that happening, just a result of a perfectly legal relay
attempt to a box that doesn't exist!<br>
Abdul Salam. Netsite Ltd wrote:<br>
 cite="mid012801c2cc3d$cd8322f0$3b01a8c0 at nslocal.netsite.co.uk">
along with php. But, when I am not able to send any mails using php,
though there is no error displayed on the web page. The php and apache
configurations seems to be right. All mails are still available on the
queue and the /var/log/maillog has the following message</font></div>
The mail() function in php doesn't return errors retrieved from the
mail subsystem, which is very annoying. Sendmail thinks the box mail2
is down so will queue the message until it is too old (probably
configured as 5 days)<br>
 cite="mid012801c2cc3d$cd8322f0$3b01a8c0 at nslocal.netsite.co.uk">
 href="mailto:abdul at netsite.co.uk">abdul at netsite.co.uk</a> etc.. etc....
relay=mail2.mydomain.co.uk., dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deffered, Operation timed
out with mail2.mydomain.co.uk </font></div>
It's well worth trying:<br>
$ sendmail -v -bt <br>
&gt; 3,0 <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:abdul at netsite.co.uk">abdul at netsite.co.uk</a><br>
And seeing where in the ruleset it is getting in a muddle. It sounds
like an attempted (e)smtp to the mail2 host, which will be configured
somewhere within sendmail.<br>
 cite="mid012801c2cc3d$cd8322f0$3b01a8c0 at nslocal.netsite.co.uk">
mentioning mail2.mydomain.co.uk anywhere and our mail server is
smtp.mydomain.co.uk rather than mail2. The MX records on the DNS is
pointed to this. I am not sure, where should I enter the mail server
name, if at all I want to do it. Any help with this will be
appreciated.</font></div>
If you didn't configure sendmail yourself, there could be a piece of
misconfiguration happening somewhere, and tracking down where can be a
bit of a pain in the *rse. Depends on whether sendmail was configured
with the m4 macros, or if it was hacked in the sendmail.cf. First
things first, doa cheack of all the files in /etc/mail to see if there
is something obvious.<br>
 cite="mid012801c2cc3d$cd8322f0$3b01a8c0 at nslocal.netsite.co.uk">
Jon<br>