Firewall Setup

Kevin O'Connor kevin at ziptek-technologies.co.uk
Sun Dec 21 13:37:52 GMT 2003

Steve, your bridge is setup to connect your whole network behind the
bridge to the router, however you are attempting to connect from an
internal network to an internal network, via the BSD box. I'm assuming
that they are different networks from your diagram, this requires an
additional router, bridge or gateway. As it is now the bridge is aware
of the different networks attached to em1 and em0 and can direct traffic
to/from them, this is exactly what it is designed to do, however a
bridge cannot join to networks attached to a NIC that is not part of the
bridge, ie em2, that is a job for a router and as em1 has no IP address
there is no route. As em0 has an IP address it is routing to em2.

This is based on my understanding of your network layout and if I've got
it wrong this is also wrong.

Solution
1 setup an additional bridge

2 scrape the bridge and give em1 an IP address, enable routing on the
BSD box

3 Add an additional NIC to route between the internal networks.

4 remove the IP address

If your using traffic shaping rules solution 1 is your best bet
Solution 2 would be my preferred method but I don't know how much work
you've done on the rules.
Solution 3 is dangerous as there is a route from the new NIC to the
router, so you'll need a rule to only permit it to talk to em2

Hope this helps, however if not please feel free to msg me off list to
get it sorted.
Regards
Kevin