USB scanners on FBSD 5 - slightly OT

Julian Rawcliffe jujuberry at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 14 12:05:05 GMT 2003

I have a USB scanner hooked up to a machine running FBSD 5.1. I have had
this working on Linux before, but my current debian setup requires writin=
g a
hotplug script and I simply can't be bothered.

I have installed the sane-frontends and -backends with no problems. The
scanner is detected by the OS when it is plugged in:

Dec 14 10:52:50 jacob kernel: uscanner0: EPSON Scanner GT-7000, rev=20
1.00/1.04, addr 2

and /dev/uscanner0 is created.

and by usbdevs:
# usbdevs -v=20
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),=20
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1, Scanner GT-7000(0x010=
1),=20
EPSON(0x04b8), rev 1.04
 port 2 powered

However, the scanner cannot be referenced by scanimage -L. Although other
sane tools were able to detect it:
# sane-find-scanner

found USB scanner (vendor=3D0x04b8, product=3D0x0101) at /dev/uscanner0
  # Your USB scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by

I have also changed /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf and set it to refere=
nce
the USB device.

And although the man page doesn't explicitly state that the USB version o=
this scanner is supported, I have scanned with it before. Looking at the
source for epson_usb.c shows:
SANE_Word sanei_epson_usb_product_ids [] =3D
{
        0x101,  /* Perfection 636 */
=2E.....}
which matches the id of the device (Perfection 636 is the US name of the
GT7000).

Anyone have any experience with scanners on FBSD and whether I am
missing anything,

Julian