Bouncing spam

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Sat Aug 9 15:34:40 BST 2003

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 02:24:30PM +0100, jon at witchspace.com wrote:
> In the last couple of days I've been getting a number of e-mails with the
> message:
>
> "This is a test email to confirm your email.  Iit  is not necessary to
> respond to this email. "
>
> "Thank you :)"
>
> Since the return e-mail address looks valid, I have a horrible sneaking
> suspicion that I'm going to find more spam in my inbox in the near future -
> since the message wasn't bounced, they can assume that my e-mail address
> is a 'live' one.
>
> Is there a way to effect a bounce when an e-mail has already been
> delivered?  I know some windows e-mail clients can do this, but not any
> that I use.
Unfortunately it's probably too late by then if your suspicions are
correct.  The only thing to do would be to modify the server
configuration to deny mail from that hostname or ip address.

Then again though if your suspicions are correct the later spams won't
originate from the same address or hostname unless the spammer is
incredibly stupid (by spammer standards of course, spammers are
generally very stupid anyway imo:).  With that the only thing to do is
ensure your server proactively addresses the spam issue.

--
Jez

http://www.munk.nu/