Bouncing spam

Jon Mercer jon at trojan-heroes.co.uk
Sat Aug 9 15:22:17 BST 2003

I'm now concerned that our email addresses are being harvested from the
mailing lists, which get mirrored in loads of locations.

Does anyone receiving this have access to change the master list site to
mangle the addresses coming in to the list when they get displayed on
the website?

Jon Mercer wrote:
> This seems to be a bit of a problem. Have had six of these today, in two
> accounts, from different ISPs, from different apparent users:
>
> Instance 1____________________________________________________

>     by dont.makeit.worse (8.12.9/8.12.7) with ESMTP id h792XqiF007198
>     for <lets.not at makeit.worse>; Sat, 9 Aug 2003 03:33:52 +0100 (BST)
>     (envelope-from testmail at modomail.com)
>

> Instance 2____________________________________________________

>     by dont.makeit.worse (8.12.9/8.12.7) with ESMTP id h7976niF009883
>     for <lets.not at makeit.worse>; Sat, 9 Aug 2003 08:06:49 +0100 (BST)
>     (envelope-from mailperson at alexandria.cc)
>
> While this doesn't combat the problem, it does give som scope to it.
>
> Has anyone raised a complaint to mindspring about their user yet?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jon
>
> jon at witchspace.com wrote:
>
>> Hiya
>>

>> In the last couple of days I've been getting a number of e-mails with the
>> message:
>>
>> "This is a test email to confirm your email.  Iit  is not necessary to
>> respond to this email. "
>>
>> "Thank you :)"
>>
>> Since the return e-mail address looks valid, I have a horrible sneaking
>> suspicion that I'm going to find more spam in my inbox in the near
>> future -
>> since the message wasn't bounced, they can assume that my e-mail address
>> is a 'live' one.
>>
>> Is there a way to effect a bounce when an e-mail has already been
>> delivered?  I know some windows e-mail clients can do this, but not any
>> that I use.
>>

>> --Jon
>>
>> http://www.witchspace.com

|         ___                  ___                               |
|        /   |                |  /                               |
|       / /| |                / /                                |
|      / / | |     _____     / /      ____      ____     ___     |
|     / /__| |    / ___ \   / /__    / __ \    / _  |   |  /__   |
|                         www.achean.com                         |
| Jon Mercer                               jon.mercer at achean.com |
| Mobile                                            07973 256496 |
| Tel.                                              0117 9561211 |
| Fax                                               0117 9565637 |