USB webcam under 4-STABLE

Andrew Boothman andrew at cream.org
Thu Aug 7 01:32:27 BST 2003

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 7:38 pm, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:10:36AM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:
> > I've currently got 5.1-REL installed, but I do remember having trouble
> > with it under 4.x becaused it used some kind of call that wasn't
> > supported under 4.x with OHCI USB controllers. It worked on one machine
> > of mine which was UHCI but not another which was OHCI.
>
> This is likely to mean 'game over' for anything which isn't an i386 system;
> most i386 clones have UHCI spec controllers. Most add-on cards have been
> OHCI controllers, in my experience. This will also bite you if you (horror
> of horrors) install a USB PCI card in an older i386 system without USB.

That's exactly right - it worked with a system with built-in USB but not on a
system that I added a USB expansion card into.

> Can you pin down the error messages which you had? This is probably curable
> suckiness.

It probably is - but I can't remember the message and I don't have a 4.x box
to re-create it on. Like I said - the problem may even have been sorted by
now in 4.x for all I know - I haven't used it since 5.0-R became available.

Whenever I tried to use the cam I'd get a message like "ohci_bulk_move() not
implemented" or something like that (it's been a while - i really can't
remember).

I remember bringing it up on here or maybe -stable and being told that the
code could perhaps be MFC'd but hadn't been. I checked CVSweb for a while but
never saw anyone doing anything relevent.

Sorry I can't really be more help. If it's an easy change I'm sure it'd be
great for the 4.x users.

Cheers!

Andrew