USB webcam under 4-STABLE

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Wed Aug 6 19:38:25 BST 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:10:36AM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:
> I've currently got 5.1-REL installed, but I do remember having trouble with it
> under 4.x becaused it used some kind of call that wasn't supported under 4.x
> with OHCI USB controllers. It worked on one machine of mine which was UHCI
> but not another which was OHCI.

This is likely to mean 'game over' for anything which isn't an i386 system;
most i386 clones have UHCI spec controllers. Most add-on cards have been OHCI
controllers, in my experience. This will also bite you if you (horror of
horrors) install a USB PCI card in an older i386 system without USB.

Which is a pity, because OHCI has less interrupt overhead:
http://www.etla.net/~n_hibma/usb/FAQ.pl

Can you pin down the error messages which you had? This is probably curable
suckiness.

BMS