Manchester BSDUG: *Tuesday* 5th August

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Fri Aug 1 11:37:18 BST 2003

Sam Smith wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Sam Smith wrote:
>
>>The next Manchester BSD User Group meeting will be Tuesday
>>5th August (a week on Monday), 2003 in the Lass O'Gowrie.
>>
>>Further details are at http://www.bsdgroups.org.uk/manchester
>>

>And before anyone says anything, yes the subject did have
>the wrong day in it.

As is now fast becoming tradition, Manchester BSD UGs normally result in
the start or end of some blazing row over something trivial (Monolithic
vs Microkernel, XML vs. CVS, vi vs. emacs, Perl vs. Python) and all
sorts of unstructured bordering-on-violence discussion occurs. So, this
time we'll be more civil and I'll tell you what my most contentious
argument will be, so you can swot up on over the weekend and if the
argument descends into chaos, you can challenge me to a duel at dawn.
You freaks. The motion:

DragonFlyBSD is the new home of the eternal bikeshed. Matthew Dillon's
project will either fail, or cause friction within the BSD project to
the point that other projects will fail. The ideas he is proposing are
neither new, revolutionary, or for the average user interesting. His
project will gain momentum from allowing changes that are mostly
bikeshed projects.

I shall be arguing with anybody who cares for the above. Bring it on,
suckers. I should point out, I wish him well and I think he's a nice
chap, I just think his project is the wrong way to acheive what he wants
to acheive.

By the way, it's my birthday this weekend, so everybody has to buy me
free beer all night, right? :-) Maybe not.

--
Paul Robinson