filesystem setup

adyas at twowaytv.co.uk adyas at twowaytv.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 18:06:53 BST 2003

A few things to bare in mind :

- Think about user accounts and permissions.  I usually have one account
for the web server (apache), one account for the content (the HTML) and
one account for the dynamic stuff, CGI etc.  This limits the amount of
damage if the system is compromised.

- Logs grow, make sure they don't impact on an important file system.
An approriately sized /var is good, and make sure you have a rotation
mechanism in place.

- The same applies to content.  Unless you have accounting configured,
you may want to put the HTML etc on its own partition.

Alex..

Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> Hi
>
> What would people recommend for a filesystem setup for a web server? I have an opportunity to put a computer on a network
> with 24/7 availability and static IP. I would like to set it up as a web server to develop webmaster skills. Once it is set up I will
> normally access it remotely. I will offer web space to a few people for web sites but won't guarantee availability. I would like to
> allow for php and mysql, also logging. One area I will be looking at is security.
>
> The machine has one scsi controller with 2 x 4.3gb disks.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Chris

-= alex dyas - broadcast support engineer - twowaytv - uk =-