startx vanity

Ian Morrison ian at darq.net
Wed Apr 16 20:06:02 BST 2003

* Bruce M Simpson <bms at spc.org> [2003-04-16 19:17]:

> I use xinit. This way I can run WindowMaker under ssh-agent, for 'single sign
> on' capability.

I actually do this at the shell level..  from my .zshrc

# -- SSH agent
#
if [ -z "${SSH_AGENT_PID}" ] && [ -z "${SSH_AUTH_SOCK}" ]; then
  eval `ssh-agent`
  ssh-add -l
fi

so i can ssh-add at any point to load my keys...  i'll checkout
xtoolwait though..

> Also, having WindowMaker start up the DockApps of its own volition has
> helped startup speed and 'look-n-feel' considerably - it also leads to
> DockApps being swallowed by the Dock correctly.

i don't think fluxbox has this option.  i'll investigate..

> > after typing startx at the console, X starts with the moire background,
> > but will often momentarily flash what looks like random bits of memory
> > on the screen.  then 2 seconds later my background kicks in, and
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> What graphics chipset are you using? This is just par for the course.

It's an s3 savage in my Thinkpad T22..

> If the residual contents of video memory are what's bugging you, I can
> write some FreeBSD-friendly VESA BIOS magic to do it (a la s3switch),
> but will require payment in beer.

I remember a program on the amiga which just faded in a nice logo,
loaded the shit in the background, then faded out.  that's what i'm
after really.  clearing the video memory would be nice though - i'm
suprised X doesn't do it already.  regardless, i'm sure i could shout
you for a pint or two of foaming nut ale.

> Of course actually fading in the display would have to be done in a
> chipset independent manner - and the setup for TrueColor visuals will
> be very different from that of PseudoColor. Simple cycling of the palette
> registers on a vertical blank might not be possible in a chipset independent
> manner as they vary in how they implement these modes.

Isn't it possible to have just exec a program that takes charge, forks a
rest of the stuff in the background, then fades and execs xclock or
somthing?  i really need to work out in my head what x is doing..  any
ideas for free dox online?

cheers bruce,

ian
--
:: darq.net /#/             :: to start press any key | where's the