Exchange

Lou Kamenov phayze at secureroot.org.uk
Tue Apr 15 10:55:34 BST 2003

In some email I received from Jeff LaCoursiere <jeff at jeff.net> on Tue, 15 Apr 2003
10:35:10 +0100 (BST), wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with Unix based replacements for Exchange Server?
> We just had a major corruption and I would love to be able to offer an
> alternative.  Would have to work with existing exchange clients, though...

Samsung Contact is a piece of art, it's the actual HP OpenMail, which is brilliant with
its support for MS MAPI and MSRPC, i have cd with it, the demo will work for about 7
users or something like this. (for free and forever, i dunno the actual distributor in uk,
but i can try and see if i can find it around)

I've seen quite a few exchange replacement, like VolutionServer from Caldera/SCO Group,
Insight Server etc...  and for me OpenMail had won the race for that time, dunno what the
situation now.

Other thing is to create and exchange replacement yourself, the best ground will be
http://dbmail.org, mysql/pgsql centrilized db storage(shame it doesnt have good threading
and redundancy) and it works find on freebsd (wey!), actually i managed to achive a sort
of folder/calendar shares with Web interface rather than with MS Outlook, since it wont
work without an add-in.

What exactly do you need?(i.e. mail folder shares, calendar/notes shares?)

cheers,
-lk

Lou Kamenov	AEYE R&D 	lou.kamenov at aeye.net
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	lou at FreeBSD-bg.org
Secureroot UK	http://secureroot.org.uk	phayze at secureroot.org.uk
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least
somebody's listening. - Franklin P. Jones