redundant dns services [3rd party dns]

Peter McGarvey fbsu-x at packet.org.uk
Mon Apr 7 15:40:25 BST 2003

* Lou Kamenov <phayze at secureroot.org.uk> [2003-04-07 14:16:58 BST]:

> I need a dns server that can do good round-robin which checks if the
> requested record is up or not(read online, accessible),·

I'm personally not aware of any DNS server which checks if something is
up before replying.  Even if your authoritative DNS server could do
this, the DNS caches wouldn't - thereby rendering such functionality
useless.

> DNS have a good scalability for MX records(also it's in a way
> integrated with the SMTP protocol

When you query a DNS server for MX records, you'll get all the MX
entries (along with the relative priorities).  It's the job of the SMTP
server to use that data to work out which MX to use, DNS plays no part
in this decision.

> Anyway, the thing i`m looking for looks is something like:
>
> http://www.zoneedit.com/doc/faq.html#fo

Looks like some sort of Dynamic Round-Robin DNS.

It's possible I suppose.  However, this:

> The average failure detection time is 5 minutes. This time varies
> depending on the speed of your site and the nature of the failure.
> Recovery times are faster, averaging 3 minutes

does not make any claims about the time it takes for the DNS to
converge.  It's quite possible for the DNS caches to still be directing
people to the broken site for anything up to a day, so personally I'd
want to test such a thing before paying for it.

--
TTFN, FNORD

Peter McGarvey
Freelance FreeBSD Hacker