Installing FreeBSD

Sam Pikesley samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 6 17:23:43 BST 2003

A good jumping off point might be
/usr/ports/misc/instant-workstation. It'll install a
nice selection of desktop stuff including X, KDE,
mozilla, CUPS, the linux compat stuff etc etc. (cd
/usr/ports; make search name=instant-workstation for
the full list)

;)

--- Andrew <andrew.hodgson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: >
> > What do I need to use Emacs, send and recieve
> Emails and browse the web?
> > I'm looking to make the simplest system I can.
>
> Hi,
>
> I reckon the best way to go is to install the
> 'Minimal' configuration in
> sysinstall, then use ftp or ports to install the
> packages you want. All the
> dependancies will be taken care of.
>
> And I suppose it depends what kind of emailing and
> browsing you're doing! If
> you want text-based, then lynx for web browsing and
> pine or mutt for emails
> would do.
>
> The next thing is to install XFree86. Depending on
> your graphics card, you
> will have to install either XFree86-3 or XFree86-4.
> If your distribution is
> 4.5 or earlier, then XFree86-3 is installed by
> standard when you select the X
> option in sysinstall, and XFree86-4 is available in
> the packages (or ports) -
> if it's after 4.5, XFree86-4 is the default.
>
> Check the XFree86 website (www.xfree86.org) to see
> if your card is compatible
> with 4, if it's not there, and your version of
> FreeBSD is 4.6 or later, you
> should not select the X option in sysinstall, and
> install version 3 via the
> sysinstall packages installer.
>
> You can then run Galeon or Mozilla (or another web
> browser of choice) and a
> graphical email client like Evolution, or install an
> integrated system like
> KDE or GNOME.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Andrew

> ------

=====
The terrorists hate us, so the Government says, because they're jealous of our freedoms. The Government solution to this seems to be to take away all of our freedoms so there'll be nothing left for the terrorists to be jealous of...