CPAN

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Thu Apr 3 16:08:20 BST 2003

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 03:17:43PM +0100, Mark Stewart wrote:
> Has this happened to you ?
>
> I have FreeBSD 4.7 release installed and when I try to configure CPAN with:
>
> perl -MCPAN -e shell
>
> and do the default install it doesn't give me a list of continents - ftp list.
>
> When I choose a number - 4 for europe - its says option does not exist.
>
> Any ideas ?

Not for that particular problem, although there are a number of
workarounds.

You could go into the CPAN shell and just run "o conf init" to try
again.

Alternatively, you may wish to just do "o conf urllist shift url://" to
insert a specific URL, to work around the problem.

One other possibility is to say "no" when you are asked for initial
configuration and CPAN will give you a sensible set of defaults.

If you're going to be installing a lot of modules, you might wish to
look into running MINICPAN[1], which is a mirror of all the latest perl
modules.  It's a couple of hundred megs, but might be a good investment.

-Dom

[1] http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col42.html