perl and cpan

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Mon Sep 30 20:09:42 BST 2002

[ Playing with Mail.app, and not sure if it automatically wraps the
message at a sensible width.  Sorry if it hasn't, and I'll need to
thwap it in to submission (or go back to Mutt ASAP) ]

On Monday, September 30, 2002, at 10:01 AM, Ian Morrison wrote:

> as i'm not a perl bunny, and just wanted a quick fix i did a:
>
> # perl -MCPAN -e shell
> # install IPC::Open3

In general, if you do this on FreeBSD the CPAN modules will
*automatically* register themselves in /var/db/pkg, and can be
manipulated with the pkg_* tools.  This piece of magic is brought to
you by the BSDPAN modules

> and after some downloading, it started trying to build perl5.8 and
> putting it in /usr/local ...

That's probably to do with your choice of module, and/our the way the
CPAN module is configured.  I've had a quick look on CPAN, and
IPC::Open3 is listed under the Perl 5.8.0 section, so it's reasonable
that CPAN.pm will try and installed Perl 5.8.0 as a pre-requisite.

The easiest way to work around this is probably to download the .tar.gz
files for modules yourself, extract them, and run

     /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL
     make all install

instead.  There's a CPAN.pm option you can set (probably
'prerequisites_policy') that controls this.