Upgrading openssl and openssh

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Mon Sep 30 11:33:01 BST 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 11:16:26AM +0100, Chris Rodgers wrote:
> I want to upgrade openssl and openssh on my system (a RELEASE-4.6 one).
>
> Can I do this without updating the whole OS?
>
> If I use the versions in ports how do I make sure that they get used and not
> the one from the base OS? Is this the best way to do things.

This is tricky. Various parts of the base system now link against the
OpenSSL crypto libraries. If you rebuild OpenSSL, and the ABI has changed
in any way, there is a risk you will break your system. If you're willing to
live with this risk, you may be able to replace OpenSSL by simply recompiling
and installing the port with PREFIX=/usr, but this is not recommended or
supported.

Not sure who's maintaining OpenSSL in base; off the top of my head,
des at freebsd.org is maintainer. In any event, this sort of fix should be
getting MFC'd to the RELENG_4_6 branch as well as RELENG_4, as it falls
under the umbrella of security fixes. YMMV, so check cvsweb before doing
anything rash.

BMS