Samba vs Samba NG (was Re: Apologies for posting to the BSD list)

Lou Kamenov lou.kamenov at aeye.net
Thu Sep 26 12:06:24 BST 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:47:05 +0100
Josef Karthauser <joe at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 08:58:43AM +0100, steve at reftech.co.uk wrote:
> > I'm not brave enough to try Samba-TNG straight on a customers box without
> > testing first but i'll give you a shout when i've built a dev box up.
> >
> > Thanks for the offer of the config file.
>
> I've used Samba extensively, but not taken the time to look at SambaNG
> yet.  Is it worth doing so I wonder.  Would someone mind summarising the
> differences?

ello,

I could say a few words about smb-tng.

Supported protocols:TCP/IP, UDP/IP, IPX/SPX, NetBIOS, NETBEUI, HTTP, DECnet 3.0, SMB
SMB is available over: TCP/IP, NetBIOS
NetBIOS is available over: TCP/IP/UDP/IP, IPX/SPX, NETBEUI

It can do:
[ WINS ]- NetBIOS (aka Windows Internet) Naming Service
[ Browsing ] - A means to locate computers (aka the Network Neighbourhood)
[ Domain Management ] - A means to manage computers in a Windows NT Domain (also known Do main Master Browsing)
[ Messaging ] - A means to send messages to a user or a group of users
[ HTML ] - Microsoft's Web Server, IIS, can use NetBIOS as a transport.
There are also several obsolete protocols. NetBIOS is actually a full transport that used to be implemented inside network cards.

The services available over SMB:
[ File Sharing ] - This is the core of the SMB protocol's purpose: to allow files to be accessed over a network.
[ Print Sharing ] - Printers can also be accessed remotely.
[ Port Sharing ] - There is a little-known means to access and share Modems and Parallel Ports over SMB.
[ IPC ]- Inter-process Communication. A means to communicate specific information between programs.
[ Named Pipes ]- SMB also provides a means for applications to easily locate and access remote services, and that includes DCE/RPC.

DCE/RPC Services:
[ SAM ] - Secure Accounts Manager.
[ LSA ] - Local Security Authority.
[ NETLOGON ] - Windows NT Network Logon Service. Provides the back-end to the Username, Domain, Password Dialog box. Also provides Backup Domain Controller Synchronisation Services. aka "A hacker's delight".
[spoolss ] - Spooler Service (Windows NT Total Print Management) - one of the largest and comprehensive DCE/RPC services in the whole of the Windows NT Operating System.
[ svcctl ] - Service Control Manager.
[ winreg ] - Windows Registry. For some obscure reason, winreg also provides the means to remotely shut down a Windows NT system.
[ srvsvc ] - Server Service. Mostly provides a means to list and manage SMB-related services such as shares, DFS (Microsoft's Distributed File System) Mount points.

Also it has a SID to UID Resolution system

SMB Tng provides command line equivalents to - regedit.exe, usrmngr.exe, eventmgr.exe and most of net.exe

(from smb-tng arch - http://http://www.samba-tng.org/docs/tng-arch/)

i hope somebody else will do the samba part, thanks...

cheers,
-lk

p.s. also today i`m 21, now i could adopt a child ;)