log files rotation

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Sep 24 22:13:34 BST 2002

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 09:53:04PM +0100, Pete French wrote:
> > > Try sending signal 30 (SIGUSR1) which will do a graceful restart of
> > > apache:
> >
> > Oooh! Fantastic - where did you find that documented then ?

man apachectl(1), the O'Reilly Arabian Horse book, the on-line apache
documentation, reading the apachectl script.  One of those --- I
forget now, it was some time ago.

> ...and on a second thought, is there a similar signal to do
> a graceful shutdown whilst allowing any pending transactions to
> complete ? Thats another annoyance - stopping the web server will
> kill an CGI scriopts running under it, no mattew aht they are doing...

Hmmm... No, not as such.  You could temporarily modify the apache
config to stop it serving out any pages --- using a redirect to a
"server unavailable" page is a good trick --- and then do a graceful
restart and wait for pending transactions to drain away before you
kill the server for real. That should achieve much the same effect.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow