4.6.2 install - graphics card not listed

Lou Kamenov lou.kamenov at aeye.net
Sun Sep 22 00:54:39 BST 2002

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:58:17 +0100
Paul Civati <paul at xciv.org> wrote:

> jimf <jimf at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > 4.5 installs perfect on my machine, problems start when I try to
> > install 4.6.2
>
> Looking at the release notes:
>
> FreeBSD 4.5    -  XFree86 4.1.0
> FreeBSD 4.6.2  -  XFree86 4.2.0

I`d use xf86config than xf86cfg / XFree86 -configure.
Somehow i dont think it depends on the FreeBSD Version, XFree86 is a different pkg - where 3.3.6 comes along with the Distribution pkgs and 4.x is in the ports?
It seems to me like you have a version problem, if you have 3.3.6 and install 4.x over it.. it could get nasty. i.e. creating config file with XF86Setup and trying to start X(4) with it.
Anyway try to figure out where is your conf and what ver is.

G`luck

> > All goes well till the new "fully graphical XFree86 configuration
> > tool" part. i.e, my graphics card isn't listed.(it was in 4.5).
>
> Do you have your old XF86Config?  Unless they've removed the driver
> between releases, I should think the config will work under 4.2.x.
>
> What tool are you using?
>
> '/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86Setup' has always worked nicely for me.

IMO XF86Setup is from 3.3.6 XFree pkg?
And i think its more reliable than the 4.x version :)

> > card is a, ATI Mach 64 Rage Pro (8MB)

This looks old it should be in the 3.3.6 version cards db.