Cheap one U servers?

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Wed Sep 18 16:06:33 BST 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 11:14:51AM +0100, Josef Karthauser wrote:
| Does anyone know of a source of cheap one U servers?

Joe,

I've given up on 1U -- the problem with the smaller 1Us is
cooling (esp with AMD) and to boot there isn't really much
space.  I've found 2Us to be a great compromise (4U too big)
The fellas at ServerCase have quite a few nice chassis:
http://www.servercase.com/2URackmount.html -- you may want
to ask if they have a UK counterpart.   They have a very nice
6 IDE HD removable box (RMC-2QE-460W) for $600, and a simple
4 IDE HD non-removable (CK218-400W) for $270.

This together with a ABIT board, an AMD processor, and 4-6 IDE
HDD can make for a pretty kickin box for right about $2,000 USD
and about (4-6h of assembly / testing).

Best,

Clark