Cheap one U servers?

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Wed Sep 18 12:04:21 BST 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 11:41:55AM +0100, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> > > Does anyone know of a source of cheap one U servers?
> >
> > how cheap ? I just got a load from rackservers.com - and if you go
> > for the gigabyte ones which come as a single unit then they work out
> > O.K. the last one wa a P4 1.7 with 512 meg of RAM for 700 quid. WWe
>
> A customer of mine has a Cobalt Raq at a colo site.  It sucks! :(
> They want their pre-existing server transferred over to it.  The old
> server is a FreeBSD 3.4 machine that's been quietly evolving a service
> of the last few years.  If I had my way I'd sneak into the colo site,
> and install FreeBSD on the Raq ;).

I'd look into building your own 1U if it's for yourself. For a customer,
you probably do want a COTS solution.

If you want to go the self-build route, Acme Technology in Park Royal do a
good selection of 1U and 2U server cases, you just have to make sure you
have a decent motherboard, a relatively cool chip and good cooling. The
hardest parts seem to be finding good motherboards for this kind of
application, cooling the thing, and getting the memory to fit. There are
some good boards on the market with angled DIMM sockets out there, but
they're pricey, being pitched as server boards.

I'm thinking of going that route, anyway. Rackservers seem overpriced for
personal use.

BMS