inodes

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Sep 16 17:54:46 BST 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 04:53:46PM +0100, Robin Garbutt wrote:

> I've got an 'out of inodes' on my /var
>
> what's the best way to see what's using them intesively and therefore delete
> stuff?  Is this the best way?

inodes are used up at the rate of one per distinct file or directory,
so check for something that is creating large numbers of files.  It
would have to be something generating pretty small files, or you'ld be
running out of space as well.

By default a file system is created with an inode for every (4 *
frag-size) bytes, and the frag-size is typically 2048 bytes, or 8kb
per inode.  So you're only going to run out of inodes if the average
file size on the partition is less than that.  Unless, of course,
you've created your /var partition with non-default settings. See
newfs(8) for details.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way