Jobs and work

Ashley Penney ashp at unloved.org
Thu Sep 12 17:42:25 BST 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 04:26:13PM +0100, Josef Karthauser said:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 04:14:14PM +0100, Paul Robinson wrote:
>
> > The main problem is competition. There is a lot of people out here, and not
> > so many jobs. As a result, prices are coming down, employers are getting ten
> > times as many applicants as they did 2 years ago, and people are coming down
> > in job specs to earn money. Somebody who was a tech director of a dot.com 2
> > years ago, is now hacking PHP together to pay the rent.
>
> Perl actually! :)

I think the thing most people have to remember is that despite the fact that
sysadmin work is very technical, it is still classed as "administration", just
like office administrators and building managers and so forth.  I think we've
had an easy ride until now.

At my previous company, I was on 44k.  I've had to take a job for 27.5k
recently to pay bills.  However, there are jobs out there.  I got this one,
and I've been recently approached regarding a much better job.  I think we
just have to lower our expectations somewhat!

--
An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind.  -- Gandhi.