Jobs and work

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Thu Sep 12 16:14:14 BST 2002

On Sep 12, Paul Civati <paul at xciv.org> wrote:

> Now that I'm looking for consultancy type work, I wondered what good
> routes were to finding *BSD type work that might be going?

Ha ha ha ha! Sorry, but this made me laugh a little. I've been on the job
market since last November. There is *nothing* out there. I've done two
consultancies (one 3 month in Manchester, one month in Falkland Islands) but
apart from that, there has been little.

The main problem is competition. There is a lot of people out here, and not
so many jobs. As a result, prices are coming down, employers are getting ten
times as many applicants as they did 2 years ago, and people are coming down
in job specs to earn money. Somebody who was a tech director of a dot.com 2
years ago, is now hacking PHP together to pay the rent. It's a grim
situation, and current expectations are that it won't turn around until
early 2004. Personally, I'm trying to get onto other projects, still
looking, but also expecting to do something completely outside IT for a
year, just to get some moolah.

> Do we have a jobs list?

We do, but I don't recall getting a mail off it for some time. There aren't
many *BSD jobs out there at the moment anyway - the majority seem to be
Oracle related.

Good luck, and if your eventual employers need somebody with experience as
well as yourself, and they're in Europe, give me a shout. ;-)

--
Paul Robinson