GPRS - fairly off topic

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Fri Sep 6 16:12:55 BST 2002

The operators DO assign an IP to your phone when you login to the
gateway.  Incidentally at least DT's operators (One2One, Vodaphone) use
PPP for GPRS AND WAP.  The IP you get assigned is out of a gigantic pool
of private addresses.  Your traffic travels through a web proxy if you are
doing CSD (WAP), and therefore the address seen in a remote WAP site will
be that of the gateway, not your phone.  If doing Java downloads or MMS
your traffic instead travels through a NAT firewall cluster, thus in the
remote site the firewall's external address will be seen rather than the
IP in the phone.

Depending on your operator you may or may not be able to make direct IP
connections on strange ports or with protocols other than TCP.