Lpd and LaserJet III

Ian Morrison ian at darq.net
Thu Sep 5 14:20:59 BST 2002

hey gang,

i just picked up a couple of laserjet iii printers, and am trying to get
them to work nicely on my freebsd fileserver.  ultimately i want to get
it all going under samba, but at the moment i'm using lpr to test
printing postscript documents.

i've set it up roughly as shown on
http://lantech.geekvenue.net/chucktips/jason/chuck/999547495/index_html
and printing ascii works fine.  printing smaller postscript files works
ok too, but from time to time the printer pops up the message "MEM
OVERFLOW" on its display, which means it's run out of memory.  the other
issue is that it's trying to print out on letter paper, rather than a4,
despite me using the make a4=yes option when building the
ghostscript-afpl-nox11 port..

so, my questions are as follows:

1.  is there a way to get lpd to send data in smaller chunks?  or does
the printer simply not have enough memory to be able to print complex
documents?  i was trying with /usr/src/lib/libc/db/docs/hash.usenix.ps
which i don't think is an unreasonable size to print..

2.  which version of ghostscript should i be running?  would a different
one help?

3.  would something like cups help?

thanks for any help,

ian
--
:: darq.net /#/             :: to start press any key | where's the